Last night, I actually had the time to (finally) try making freezer meals. Since my husband will be gone for 3 days for a Wood Badge training, I HAVE TO keep myself busy.. really busy because otherwise, I will miss him quite terribly and I’m not sure what that entails. This will be the longest time we’ve been apart since we got married so, 3 days and 2 nights without the hubby feels like an eternity for me…. man… I’m such a pansy. I can’t even write a blog without talking about my husband.
On a happy note! I will post my Freezer meals photos later on but for now, I want to help you out. One of the things I struggled with was finding freezer meal recipes and how to execute them in simple steps. So, my goal for today is to list a handful of recipes to get your started!
Ingredients (1 Family)
1 package crescent rolls
3 ounces softened cream cheese
1 cup cooked chicken breast chopped in small pieces, or shredded
1 green onion chopped fine
dash of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1Tbls minced dried minced onion
1Tbls parsley flakes (optional)
1/4 tsp minced garlic (optional)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup of milk
Cook and shred chicken. Mix cream cheese, chicken, onion and all seasonings together.
To Prepare Thaw out chicken mixture. Roll out crescent rolls. Fill rolls with chicken filling and roll up. Bake as directed on crescent roll package. Usually at 375 for 12-15 min.
Gravy: Mix cream of chicken and milk in a pot and heat over stove on low. Pour on top of cooked chicken rolls.
Another similar recipe…
1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese (softened)
4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
2 tablespoons green onions
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 cup crushed seasoned chicken stuffing
- In a large bowl beat the cream cheese, 2 Tbl butter, green onions, milk, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked chicken.
- Open and unroll a tube of crescent rolls. Don’t separate them.
- Pinch the diagonal seems shut, creating four rectangles.
- Spoon 1/8 of the filling on to each rectangle.
- Take the opposite corners and twist them together at the center of the bundle. Repeat with the other corners. Do this for all eight bundles.
Put the bundles on a baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter.8. Top with a handful of dry, seasoned, stuffing. You can also use croutons if you don’t have stuffing. Press down gently to make sure they are secured on the bundle. Put baking sheet in freezer. Once frozen, place in labeled Ziploc bag.9. To bake, let bundles thaw overnight or during the day. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until crescent roll is cooked completely.
Ingredients (1 Family)
1 small pkg frozen peas & carrots
1/3 cup chopped onions
1 cup frozen cubed potatoes
2 cups cooked & cut-up chicken pieces
2 cups chicken gravy or Cream of Chicken soup
2 frozen piecrusts
Combine all ingredients and pour into freezer bag. Keep pie crusts frozen.
Thaw. Place filling in crust and cover with second pie crust. Preheat oven to 450F. Cover edges of pie crust with foil to prevent the crust from burning. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until crust is brown and mixture inside is hot. Remove from oven and allow to sit for ten minutes
before cutting and serving.
2 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
½ Cup finely diced white onions
½ Cup finely diced red bell pepper
2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 12 oz can chunk chicken, drained (from Costco)
¼ Cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
¼ Cup Verde Salsa (I use Herdez brand)
2 Tablespoons prepared ranch dressing
½ package wonton wrappers
1 egg white whisked with 2 Tablespoons water
1. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic for 1 minute and remove from heat.
2. In large bowl add onion mixture, chicken, cilantro, salsa, ranch, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
3. Place 1 Tablespoon chicken mixture in center of wonton wrapper. Brush bottom edge with egg white wash, fold over filling and press edges together firmly, forming a triangle shape.
4. 2 options of cooking. 1st is place about 1 inch of canola or vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. When hot, place 4 wontons at a time into oil. Cook 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown. 2nd option is place wontons on a baking sheet; bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until crispy, flipping once half way through cooking.
5. Serve with Ranch dressing or salsa if desired.
TO FREEZE: Prepare as stated above. Place wontons in freezer bag and freeze.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING: Bake from frozen at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Chicken Stir Fry
- Chicken (cooked)
- green beans
- Red peppers
- Soy sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Cooked the chicken and blanched the vegetables.
- Spread out on freezer paper, and frozen till it could be bagged without the insides become stuck together in one huge lump.
- Put chicken and vegetables into gallon freezer bag to be reheated later.
- Mixed a small bowl of soy sauce, ginger, and brown sugar. Put in small baggie inside, to be poured over vegetables when re-heating.
- On busy days, take stir fry out of freezer and heat up over the stove. Don’t forget to put some rice in a rice cooker 40 minutes before serving.
3-4 pound pork loin
4 tbs. brown sugar
8 tsp. sweet and smoky chipotle powder
3 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp. dried thyme
3 teaspoons garlic pepper
In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients. Place pork evenly on plastic wrap. Rub spice mixture evenly on pork. Bring up the sides of the plastic wrap to enclose pork. Freeze.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking dish with foil and coat foil with nonstick cooking spray. Unwrap pork and place on baking sheet. Coat pork evenly with non stick cooking spray.
Cook loin for 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Internal thermometer should read 160 degrees.
Remove from oven, cut and serve.
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 C. ketchup
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/2 C. firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbs. white vinegar
1/4 C. chopped onion
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
Place the chicken in a 1-gallon freezer bag. Combine the remaining ingredients, stir well, and pour over the chicken. Label and freeze.
To serve, thaw and bake in a 9×13 pan, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, our until the chicken is done, turning chicken over after 30 minutes, and basting occasionally
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
3/4 C soy sauce
3/4 C ketchup
1/2 C honey
1/3 C vegetable oil
3/4 tsp chopped garlic
Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, and basil. Put chicken breasts into a 1-gallon freezer bag
Mix the remaining ingredients, and pour them into the 1-quart freezer bag.
Place the small bag inside the large bag, label, and freeze
To serve, thaw chicken and arrange in greased 9×13 pan.
Pour sauce over the top, and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
This recipe also grills well.
Well, I hope these recipes will help you get started. After all the work, I felt pretty proud and productive and now, I can rest easy when it comes to planning meals- All I have to do is order from our freezer and have the rest of my time with things that matter most.
Feel free to leave any suggestions/ recipes to share to all of us 🙂